Major Gifts Director / San Antonio Zoo
Reports to: Vice President of Development
The Major Gifts Director is responsible for building and maintaining a successful major gifts portfolio, cultivating relationships with key constituents, and assisting with the implementation of comprehensive capital campaigns and major gift initiatives.
- Responsible for soliciting gifts of $50,000 and over from members, Board of Trustees, and all other potential donors to the San Antonio Zoo
- Oversees the strategic planning of major gifts and capital campaigns
- Manages all direct mail, personal solicitation, peer-to-peer solicitation, and event fundraising related to major gifts and capital campaigns
- Actively researches, cultivates, and solicits a donor portfolio of more than 300 prospects, and facilitates the solicitation of more than 150 donors to the San Antonio Zoo
- Recruits and managers volunteers who comprise the Major Gift Committee. The Committee is responsible for raising major gifts on an annual basis.
- Organize and implement meetings and activities such as committee meetings, monthly stewardship luncheons, thank you parties, and special prospecting events.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of major gift fundraising for special projects
- Participates in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiatives contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors
- Develops appropriate cultivation strategies, including working with volunteers
- Moves potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation
- Makes solicitation when appropriate
- Maintains stewardship contacts with donors
- Coordinates projects of the Major Gifts office with other development activities
- Maintains donor database records and call reports
- Monitors and supervises relation ships with fundraising contract consultants and other vendors such as Architectural firms as it pertains to current projects
- Evaluates and confirms all projections and provides regular reporting for the Major Gifts Office in order to accurately determine fundraising outcomes for each fiscal year.
Board and Volunteers
- Works with the Executive Director, Vice President of Development, Board, Development Committee, and Major Gifts Committee to initiate and implement fundraising strategies
- Supports and assists the Development Committee in partnership with the Vice President of Development
- Five to seven-years experience in fundraising with nonprofit organizations, including major gifts fundraising.
- Must adhere to the highest ethical standards, demonstrate an empathetic disposition and perseverance, and convey sensitivity to the needs of donors.
- Excellent attention to details and follow through as demonstrated through effective project management experience.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills.
- Outstanding ability to work effectively in teams of diverse people and organizations.
- Experience working with a donor database, as well as with Microsoft Excel.
- Strong organizational, communications, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Ability to spend hours listening and talking
- Working via computer, telephone and other electronic devices
- Driving frequently to meetings and events
- Light lifting of equipment and materials
- Occasional night or weekend work, long days or overnight travel
Based on an 8 hour workday
Never = 0 hrs Rarely = 0-2 hrs Occasionally = 2-4 hrs Frequently = 4-6 hrs Continuously = 6-8 hrs
Instructions for Application
Résumés, cover letters and references will be accepted until 5:00 p.m, Thursday, May 4, 2017. We fully respect the need for confidentiality of information supplied by interested parties and assure them that their backgrounds and interests will not be discussed with anyone, without prior consent, nor will reference contacts be made until mutual interest has been established.
To apply for this position, please email your résumé, letter of interest and a list of three references. Please indicate the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email.
Alexis De Sela